New Construction

New construction procedures apply to the construction or installation of a new facility that does not yet have electric service.

New homes and businesses where construction of electric facilities have been installed are not considered new construction from an electric service standpoint. Members requiring service to be placed in their name at these locations or require a new meter to be set should visit the Residential/Commercial Service page.


  • Contact Engineering Services at (303) 688-3100, with the property owner’s information and service address of the property
  • Request for Contract Authorization (Application for Work Request)
  • Required documents will vary depending upon the type of service (outlined within Contract Authorization)
  • Proof of ownership (i.e., warranty deed, property tax documentation, etc.)
  • Design fee, as specified within Contract Authorization

Refer to our Builder/Developer Service Requirements for additional information.

Processing the Work Request

  • A CORE engineer will contact you to discuss your project requirements and schedule a meeting on-site to complete a design for the installation of the electric facilities.
  • The engineer will provide the member with an estimated cost and may request the member to obtain or provide additional easement, if necessary.
  • The design will be completed and forwarded to Engineering Services to issue the contract for service. The contract price will be valid for 60 days.
  • Upon receipt of the signed contract for service, payment of the invoiced amount, and any required easements, application for any required permits will be submitted and the work order will be released for construction.
  • The construction schedule varies depending upon the volume of work to complete.
  • The member will be responsible for the installation of the secondary and metering facilities. See our Metering Specification forms.
  • Upon notification from the county/city/state of an approved meter inspection, a service order will be issued to set the meter within 3 to 10 business days.

Development Letter

By Colorado law, the developer must acquire a letter of agreement from the utility in connection with local land use applications. The Engineering Department will evaluate the project and respond to a “will serve” letter request.

New Construction FAQs

How does the builder order the secondary lateral?
A billing account must first be established. A Builder Lateral Order form should be completed and submitted to Engineering Services via email at

How long does it take to install my electric service after meeting with an engineer?

The time to complete a work order can vary, depending on the number of requests our Engineering Department must process. An average time from when a work request is initiated to the installation of the electric line extension is 8 to 12 weeks; however, this period of time is dependent upon many factors.

The service has been inspected, but the meter has not been set. Why?

It could be that CORE does not have an account established for the service location; the building department has not released the address to CORE or the service worker was unable to set the meter due to a conflict. You will need to call CORE Engineering Services for the reason for your specific address.

How is an easement obtained, if required?

The CORE engineer will provide the member requesting the line extension with the necessary easement documentation. However, the member is responsible for contacting the property owner(s) to obtain the required signature(s). Any questions regarding easements can be discussed with the engineer at the time of design.

Can I pay for the line extension with a credit card?

No. Payment must be made by check or cash.

Who do I call with questions about my construction contract?

Call Engineering Services at (303) 688-3100.

How do I acquire a “developer” or “will serve” letter?

Colorado law requires that developers have a utility letter of agreement for local land use purposes. As such, CORE’s Lands and Rights-of-Way Department will review the project and respond to a “will serve” letter request. Contact our Engineering Services department for additional information.